Suggest treatment for fluctuations in blood pressure values

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi,
I am 39 years old and recently i have seen fluctuations in my blood pressure values. I have got it checked for a week, they were fluctuating around 150/110, 140/100, 140/105 ...I do not have any previous health issues and not using any medication now. I exercise daily and do not have any symptoms of high BP. This makes me wonder as why i am not getting the normal values. Do I need to start some medication or is there a way I can come out of this?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, start medication...

Detailed Answer:

Your BP recordings are consistently in the upper limit. I wish to know how did you record it - was it through the self - automatic BP machine. If so, I would like you to get manual BP recording done at your doctor's office on three different days of week.

If manual BP record is also consistently high, you will benefit by starting antihypertensive drug.

In the meanwhile eat healthy, avoid excess salt and perform daily exercises.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Thank you. The BP was recorded manually at my office healing room by the nurse. It is not done self.

Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Antihypertensive drugs will benefit you...

Detailed Answer:
Apologies for the late reply. I was away from internet during this weekend.

BP recorded manually definitely shows variations from normal limits. Values of 150/110mm Hg are in hypertensive range and needs to be addressed. In my opinion you should start antihpertensive drugs. If I were your patient I would start you on ACE inhibitor like telmisartan 20mg once a day at the earliest. Please visit your physician and discuss about it.

In addition, I will also recommend low salt diet and physical exercises.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad