• question-icon

Suggest BP medication that do not react with Allopurinol

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Taking allopurinol tablets for gout ,and only 500mcg cilazapril tablet for prehypertension ,unfortunatly with an unpleasant reaction --- tight feeling in head with mild headache , sore on rear neck ,a heavy feeling on chest / shoulders , mussel pain in both upper arms ,stomach feeling upset, etc .The closer taken in time , the worse the effect -- such that life returns to a normal quality if I stop taking the Cilazapril tablet .A different type of tablet , was even dramacticaly worse !The effects are such that it is restricting my ability to work It is also important that I do not suffer from a dizzy side effect . On home pressure test I get a result of 129 to 142 , 71 to 83 , if I relax , any activity can send it up to 160 , sleepy down to under 120 , in some cases . My doctor would not prescribe if not thought necessary -- any suggestion very welcome . thankyou .XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to allopurinol or to the interaction between cilazapril and allopurinol.

Cilazapril is drug of the ACI inhibitors class. This drug has shown good results and efficacity in prehypertension patients, especially with heart failure.

But some studies this class of drugs has resulted to interact with allopurinol increasing adverse effects of allopurinol, especially hypersensitivity and allergic reactions (captopril has shown more interactions).

I would like to have some more information on your lab blood tests (uric acid levels, renal function tests, blood electrolytes).

I would recommend discussing with your attending physician the possibility of switching to another anti-hypertensive drug for example a calcium channel blocker (amlodipine, lercanidipine).

I would also advise you some lifestyle modifications in order to manage better your blood pressure and minimize the need of anti-hypertensive drugs:

- modify your diet (low salt and caffeine intake, low protein intake would help reduce uric acid levels too)
- perform a lot of physical activity (gym, yoga, walking, swimming, etc.)
- try to reduce your weight if you are overweight.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Feel free to ask any other questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist