Suffering with Parkinson's disease, recent blood tests show high triglycerides, LDL, VLDL. Treatment suggestion?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello,
My mother is 63 years old and is suffering from Parkinsonism for the last 5 years. She is taking the following medicines:

Ropark XL (ones a day)
          Syndopa Plus (3 times in a day)
          Pacitane 2 mg (3 times in a day)
          Sizopin 50 mg (ones a day)

Recently we got her blood test done (lipid profile + sugar test) and the report shows that she is having high triglycerides (258 units), LDL (109.4 units), VLDL (51.6 units), Glucose-fasting (116 units) and Glucose-PP (141 units). Please let us know what we should do.

Thanks          
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Your mother is having Parkinsonism and her treatment seems to be all right for it.

I have gone through her blood reports and following are my comments.

1) Her blood sugar level is within normal limits FBS (Fasting Blood Sugar) 116 & PPBS (Postprandial blood sugar) 141.
2) Her Triglyceride level is high, but at this level only diet change like reducing fats and high carbohydrates diet and if some walking if possible, drug treatment is not required.
3) She is having Parkinsonism; I fail to understand reason why she is taking Sizopin? I am sure there must be some reason for it.

Risperidone (Sizopin) is atypical antipsychotic and can cause extra pyramidal effects as well as elevation of blood sugar level.

Hope this information is useful to you, please let me know the reason of use of Sizopin and if any other query you have, I will be available to clarify it.

With Best Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey