Suffering from seizures. Loosing hair and gaining weight. Looking for proper treatment

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Epilepsy
Question: My son started getting seizures from the age of 17 , we started with Tablet Epition for the first two years and then changed to sodium vaporate chrono 500 mg in the morning and 500 mg in the evening .He gets one attack in a year and only in the mornings between 8.30 to 11.30.Still when on durgs this year he got two episodes in the last two months ,so the doctor asked for Vaporic acid blood test and found the count to be 39,4. So now his doctor has asked him to take Levipil 500mg three times a day along with sodiun vaporate in the morning and evenings.His EEG test are within the limits and MRI scan is normal.Is it posible for him to tapper sodium vaporate and continue with Levipil alone.He is now 25 years and has lost lot of hair and gained weight.Please let me know what I can do to reduce the stress on him as he now still studying.Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Epilepsy is a chronic disease and it requires long term treatment. However, the person can have a normal life with proper treatment.

Sodium valproate is known to have side effects such as hair loss, weight gain and shivering of hands. So, it is a good idea to stop valproate. However, it should be done on a gradual basis.

As his seizure frequency is low, it should be enough to treat his epilepsy with a single drug such as levetiracetam.

Please discuss these issues with your neurologist.

Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Doctor ,thank you for your reply
.my son has started having attacks only in the morning. SO does he have to change his food habits? He is staying in a hostel.any vitamin tablet is necessary . He also feels very cold and does use the fan at all.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Regarding food, no specific food is required. But, he should take food regularly, and on time. He should not skip meals.

Folic acid vitamin supplementation may be useful in chronic epilepsy.

Regarding feeling cold, please get his thyroid function tested (by a blood test).

Hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)