Suggest treatment for depression despite taking Lithium and Wellbutrin
I think there is need to change medications
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.
I read your query and understand your concerns.
First of all I like to inform you that there is no doubt about the diagnosis and your son should be treated as a case of bipolar depression rather than simple depression.
Secondly wellbutrin is not an approved medication for treatment of bipolar depression. Secondly considering the development of mania with use of prozac in past clearly indicates that antidepressant alone should be avoided at any cost.
Regarding the treatment of choice olanzapine fluoxetine combination (OFC) should be used as medication for the treatment of bipolar depression. Same need to be discussed with treating psychiatrist as you will need prescription to buy it for your son. My recommendation is based on the fact that prozac had good mood lifting effect on your son in January 2017 and same can be expected under the cover of mood stabilizer medication such as Olanzapine.
In addition to medications there is need to engage in some or other activities. I understand it is very difficult when someone is depressed but it is not impossible.
I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Thanks for your feedback
Thanks for follow up and lovely feedback.
Personally speaking I rarely found the wellbutrin helpful in individuals with bipolar depression and that was the another reason I feel wellbutrin is not a great option for your son as we are dealing with bipolar depression.
I hope this helps you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
Thanks and regards.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for hypertension with depression
- Suggest treatment for anxiety and depression
- Suggest treatment for post pardum depression
- Suggest treatment for depression and panic attack
- Suggest treatment for bipolar depression
- Suggest treatment for serious depression
- Suggest possible treatment for depression
- Suggest treatment for insomnia and depression
- What treatment is suggested for depression
- Suggest treatment for depression and will taking cymbalta help
- How to have a successful sexual intercourse?
- Suggest treatment for OCD
- Suggest the sleep aids that i can use with Carvedilol?
- What causes sensitivity to sun light?
- Is it safe to have 120ml of alcohol everyday?
- Suggest treatment for orgasmic dysfunction
- Suggest treatment for non retraction of foreskin
- Suggest treatment for premature ejaculation
- How long do psychotic disorders take to get cured?
- What causes erectile dysfuntion?