What causes severe depression after a death of a family member?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 3 Mar 2018 in Mental Health
Question: My father is having depression.from last two months he was not able to sleep property and very disturbed because of this problem.Then in last month,some personal issues happened in our home as we are living in a joint family.Although for us,the issue was not so big but as he is an elder in brothers so he took it very seriously and got depressed.
Earlier in 2009 also he has been in depression and admitted in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX for 29 days.In young age when he was 20 years old ,then his mother passed away and at that time also he got disturbed.
now again we have taken him to XXXXXXX and before that we consult with private dococotrs also.attached is his summary of trtaetemnt till now.Now after taking medicine he is feeling like suicidal and negative thinking .Also he is havi g headache and start weeping like a child and hopeless with life.please suggest what to do.should we go with this treatment.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He is on right medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related doubts

I can understand your problem. The history you've mentioned shows clearly that he is suffering from depressive disorder or severe depression. His OPD papers too show the diagnosis of RDD or recurrent depressive disorder.

He has been given Sertraline 150 mg which is a good antidepressant and Quetiapine which will help in treating the resistant depression symptoms. The medicines are right and are in right doses.

When ever any SSRI drug is started in a patient of depression worsening of symptoms is seen especially during first couple of weeks. This is happening in his case too. This is the reason he became more suicidal and has negative thinking. This is not a thing to get worried. In coming weeks he will start seeing response and will become better. NO NEED TO WORRY.

You should go with this treatment and don't stop it without consulting his doctor.

Thanks and Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 34 hours later
He is taking medicine since last 3 weeks but still not feeling relax.Although we have changed many doctors and qty of medicine also changed.now from last week we are having follow-up in XXXXXXX Now after taking these medicines from XXXXXXX doctor,father is having such negative feelings and complaining about headache also.he also feeling like burning in the body.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait for some more time to see full effects.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

In most cases SSRI drugs take around 4-6 weeks to show their effects. So at this point of time you should wait to see full response. Stopping the drug at this stage will only increase the symptoms only.

For headache drugs like Paracetamol can be given which will help in controlling the symptoms.

Thanks.