Suffering from liver cirrosis. Vomiting with blood and low haemoglobin. Is it completely curable?

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Respected Sir,
My father having liver cirrosis since 2008. at that time endoscopy has been done and some bindings. after that treatment isd going on there was no problem . but this same thing arise on month july vomitting with blood therefore Hemoglobin has been fallen to 4.1. Is there is any possibility to completly cure the disease.

XXXXXX
Durgapur
(West Bengal)
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 11 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

Cirrhosis is a progressive and irreversible disease

There are chances your father has esophageal varices ans the have started bleeing

You may again go for endoscoy and sclerotherapy

Or Opt for Ortal hypertension surgery called shunt surgery

Though there is no permanent cures there have been favorable results with liver transplantation

Hope this helps
Do write back if you have more doubts
Wishing your father a healthy life ahead
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later
Are the Medicines are suitable to control this disease.
Please advice other medicines too if needed?

thanking you
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 23 hours later
Hi

No medicine will work

All the hepatoprotective medicines available are working for managememt of symptoms but no medicine can reverse it

As per the guidelines of the forum we cannot prescribe medicines without examining the patient

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing your father a speedy recovery
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 16 hours later
Ortal hypertension surgery called shunt surgery. if I go for this how it works, and its effectfullness.
Kindly tell the medicnes which will be life long that the patients have to take.

Thanking You,

XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 31 hours later
Hi

It was a typo error it is Portal Hypertension

The surggery reduces the blood pressurer load to liver and prevents further damage

Medcines to be taken are usually beta blockers and hepatocellular tonics and regenerative aggents

The last two are usually herbal and have no documentation

Yet they are used adequtely

Hope this helps

Wishing your father a speedy recovery