Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Suffering from exhaustion due to anemia. What medication should I take?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
I'm currently suffering from exhaustion due to oral iron for years.I take 65 mg of iron and 325 mg of ferrotonus (i forget what the s word is).My doctor wants me to start taking 5,000 mg of Vitamin C to help with the iron absorbing but due to the side effects i've decided not to do that.I don't know how anemic i am,just that at my last bloodwork the nurse called and said i have an "iron deficiency".I've also tried doubling my dose and taking 2 iron pills a day hoping that would take care of the exhaustion but that hasn't question is what do i do?what should my next step be?should i talk to my pcp about going to see a hematologist?and how would the hematologist help me?
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

1. what do i do?

It appears that oral iron therapy is not working for you - assuming your exhaustion is still on and the blood iron levels are still low in spite of 2 iron tablets in a day for years. Obviously,your heavy bleeding has compounded this, and in this case - I would suggest you would need to talk to your doctor about the possibility of parenteral (injections) iron preparations available - that have many advantages over oral tablets with respect to getting back normal iron levels for eg. the iron that is absorbed is higher than that with tablets.

I must ask what side effects you have with Vitamin C though. Because, it is a very naturally occurring vitamin.

2. what should my next step be?

As explained above, if your blood tests reports are up to date - and still show up as Haemotologist is a professional studying the laboratory aspects of blood, whereas a Pathologist would in addition correlate it to your clinical picture given by your Primary Care Physician. So if your reports are good already, then a haematologist would be of no further help. Else, if your PCP needs other pathological test correlation (in case if other causes of anemia needs ruling out based on your clinical exam) then a pathologist/hematologist may be of help.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.


Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor