Suffering from exhaustion, depression, inability to concentrate and joint pain. Required treatment?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: HI there.

My 16 year old son has been suffering from exhaustion, depression, inability to concentrate, inability to get restful sleep, forgetfulness and sore joints for over 2 years. We just got blood results back and his TSH results were 3.2.

Is this considered high enough to medicate? We found this out from our naturopath and she has given him natural meds to help regulate his thyroid. Would we be better to give him synthetic thyroid medication or are there natural medications that actually work? He has been suffering long enough.

He has ADHD and they kept increasing his stimulant thinking that would help his symptoms, and it only served to burn him out. The ADHD was a distraction, i believe, to finding the real cause of all these issues. It has made high school a nightmare. Please help.

Is there anything else we should consider testing or trying?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 hours later
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The TSH level of 3.2 is within normal range (normal range is 0.7 - 6.4mIU/L) for his age.

This level of TSH does not require treatment with thyroxine and there is no need for any synthetic thyroid medication.

As there is no need for any medication as per his TSH level, the effectiveness of the natural medication is difficult to comment.

ADHD can be managed by psychosocial interventions like behavioral therapy, Behavior management training like positive reinforcement and negative reinforcement techniques, Psychotherapy in addition to stimulant medication.

No further testing is required as ADHD is diagnosed on clinical grounds and it can be managed by a team consisting of Pediatrician, Child Psychiatrist, Psychologist, Social and Community worker to address the problems associated with ADHD.

So consult your Pediatrician for referral to a Developmental Centre where all the services are available.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any doubt feel free to consult.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E