Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Suffering from consistent fatigue that is exacerbated by exertion. Having severe anxiety. Suggest further tests?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 5916 Questions
My son has been suffering from consistent fatigue that is exascerbated by exertion. he is 23 and was in excellent healtha and was very active. He does not have any pain, but it is causing him severe anxiety and has said he does not want to live any longer.
He has been to three different doctors who have not been able to give a definitive diagnosis. I would like to know what type of doctor he should be seeing and what types of tests do you think they should perform to diagnose the probblem?
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Psychotherapist & expert physician be consulted

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for using XXXXXXX for asking question.

Fatigue is inability to work due to subjective feeling of tiredness. It can be physical or mental.

From the history of anxeity & fatigue being increased by exertion & your son mostly has neuro muscular & psychological problem as a cause.for fatigue.

Few basic investigations would help to differentiate & exclude few possible causative conditions
- Blood examination to check infection or anemia,under neutrition.
-Urine analysis to exclude liver problems/diabetese. Investigations for kidney & liver function tests may follow if needed.
-stools examination for autoimmune diseases causing malabsobtion.
-HIV testing if found nesesorry after social history of patient.
-Elecctromyography-to investigate neuro muscular problem

So exclusion of other possibilities by investigations & an advice of a psychotherapist & an expert physician to treat nuromuscular cause of fatigue should be taken.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor