Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Suffering from chronic dysentery. What medication should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 1826 Questions
i am male aged 46 years. i was suffering from amoebiasis at age 16-18 years. the problem was controlled that time. Since past 4-5 years i am suffering from cronic dysentery, although we are drinking RO water. in every 2-3 month my stomach is getting disturbed. i am feeling little choking in my throat. lot of belch and gas is passing. 4-5 motions are there. normal drugs like metronidazole is giving a littelr relief for 2-3 days. after 15- 20 days medicine it is controlling. in normal course motion is passing 2-3 times. since past few months I am taking curd and having some relief.
i read somewhere this problem is caused due sulpher eating bacteria in colon ? is it true and its medicine.
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 47 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.

You are having symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease and chronic diarrhea.
Chronic diarrhea is not synonymous with amoebiasis.

I would like to have some more information before I can give my opinion.

1. Was stool test done?

2. Are you passing large quantity stool or small quantity stool each time?

3. Is there any blood or mucus in stool?

4. Do you have night time diarrhea?

5. Is there any loss of weight?

Kindly get back to me with the answers and I would give my opinion.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from chronic dysentery. What medication should be done? 2 hours later
1 yes however nothing unusual was found.
2 in morning normal amount else small quantity however it is little loose always.
3no however sometimes it is sticky
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 12 hours later
Thanks for providing the additional information.

Since the stool test did not show anything, it is less likely to be due to amoebiasis.

You are having chronic large bowel diarrhea. I would suggest a colonoscopy test be done for evaluation.

Sticky stool may be due to fat malabsorption and may be to due to involvement of pancreas. Tests should be done to rule this out.

Continue taking curd. You may consider taking probiotic supplements also.

The gastroesophageal reflux symptoms like choking and belching can be controlled with antacid medications.
You can discuss with your doctor for prescription of the above mentioned medications.

I hope that answers your question.

If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor