Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Suffering from chest pain, acidity. Stopped smoking few months back

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4813 Questions
Hello I'm a 46 male and been suffering since new year with
Chest pains left side
Gasp for breath
Packed up smoking 4 months ago
Started burping a lot.
Been diagnosed with chest wall strain and acid in stomach
These symptoms are getting me down now, any suggestions please
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the answer below

Detailed Answer:

The chest pain is related to acid in stomach as referred to you (gastritis). - Implementing healthy eating strategies can help including: avoid spicy, chilly, citrus or honey or any other food that can increase stomach acidity.

Do not rush while eating, eat slowly, drink plenty of water, eat often and small portions not to let your stomach empty and acidic.

Take a stomach medication such as PIP (proton inhibitor pump drugs - omeprazole, lansoprazole, etc.) to reduce the excessive acidity of the stomach.

After eating, or when you have pain or burning in the chest wall, you can take aluminium/magnesium peroxide. I randomly advise my patients to take 1 teaspoon of soda bicarbonate in 1/2 glass of water to get immediate relief.

- Burping is related to gas swollen while eating - That's why I have suggested to eat slowly, often and small portions.

- Smoking is another aggravating factor, it is good that you have stopped it.

- If you are in pain, do not take aspirin, ibuprofen or ketoprofen drugs because they can aggravate your stomach problem.

- I also advise my patients to be physically active and drink more water to lessen the symptoms.

All the best! If you have any other inquiry do not hesitate to contact me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor