Suffering from bloating and gas. Stopped nexpro due to abdominal cramping. Are these problems due to stress and bad lifestyle?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I am suffering from a lot of bloating and gas.I also get stomach noises, sometimes very loud too. This occured about 6 months ago and subsided after I was prescribed ganaton total, a tablet for 2 weeks. Its come again. I met another doctor and she prescribed nexpro 40 , I stopped taking it after I started getting abdominal cramps. I am currently taking mucaine gel before food. This is making me feel a little better but the problems are still there. I know this could be caused due to stress and bad lifestyle. I am going through a phase of stress lately but making some changes in work and home. Please advise
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mucaine gel not the right drug

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The most common reason for bloating and gas is stressful lifetsyle, improper eating habits, smoking and asthma, other causes include side effects from drugs, meals containing high proteins and milk.

Mucaine gel is not the right drug for your current issue, I would suggest you to take a tablet containing pantoprazole with domperidone before food. Ganaton total was a wonderful drug but from the best of my knowledge it has been stopped, an alternative for that would be Tab Pan-IT once daily before food. Please approach a physician for a prescription, do not consider this as my prescription to you
I also suggest the following

1. Donot skip meals, have food at the same time everyday.
2. Avoid dals, channa and milk. Do not consume coffee or tea more than 2 times a day
3. Do not go to bed immediately after dinner , wait for Atleast 2 hours
4. Avoid smoking and alcohol
5. Meditation for 10 min early in the morning helps reduce stress levels

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad