Suffering from IBS, abdominal pain, frequent urination and constipation. Proper medication?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been suffering from IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) problem from 4 years now (2008-2010 and now again in 2012).

I am suffering from pain in my right abdomen (lower side) with constipated motions. This pain also radiates to my right leg and back sometimes (especially while applying pressure to evacuate). I also feel an urge to evacuate after having meals. Frequency is more than thrice a day. I feel less energetic and lethargic. And I also feel frequent urination.

Occasionally, feel bloated and acidity. The problems have resurfaced after I underwent an appendicitis surgery in Aug 2012.

I took allopathic medicines in 2008 and by taking heavy doses of anti-spasmodics, antidepressants and other medicines over a year, the problems got subsided but the same problems have reoccurred now and posing numerous problems in my personal as well as professional life. I have also undergone alternative therapies (ayurvedic and herbal treatments) but didn't help much. I have been taking care of my diet as various doctors said IBS is aggravated due to imbalanced and gas-producing foods....

I only get temporary relief and the problems reoccur if I stop medications. I have also felt the problem

increases (pain as well as constipation) when i masturbate.

Please help me out as it has been a harrowing experience as I have taken so many tests (all are normal), consulting numerous doctors without any effective results and it is really depressing sometimes.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXXX
I am soory to hear that you have been experiencing
problems at a young age. I am sure the stress factor
must be difficult to deal with.
I want to know if your doctors have ruled out some
common conditions that could be easily missed.
One such is Celiac Disease. You need to get some
special blood tests that can diagnose this, sometimes
you may need a small bowel biopsy to confirm but not
always needed. The other is Lactose Intolerance which
can be diagnosed by a breath test or if you go on a very
strict lactose free diet and see if your symtoms improve.
Fructose and sorbitol are the other culprits. Sorbitol is
in chewing gum and other products, you will have to
check the labels of foods and drinks.
The only thing that really helps is a high fiber diet.
Whole grain cereal, fresh vegetables and fruits give
you fiber. Lentils like Toor dhal, Chana Dhal, Urad dhal
can produce more gas.
I want you to make sure you drink enough fluids.
There are fiber supplements that you can get most
contain syllium . You can take 2-3 tablespoons a day
mixed with water daily. This will help reduce the bloating
and make your stool consistency normal.
Also, probiotics such as Econorm taken daily will be helpful.
Relaxation technics, yoga, regular excercise, also help
to relieve stress factors.
If you have not had an upper GI and small bowel x-rays, or
a sonogram of your gallbladder, you should get that also.
Hope you can discuss these with your doctor.
I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 58 minutes later
Thank you sir for your detailed review.

I have already undergone various tests and biopsies (x-ray; colonoscopy; CT scans - abdomen, pelvis, urogram; stool tests) and reports being normal have ruled out any infection or disease.

Psyllium husks haven't helped me much and one of my doctors said that increase in fibre intake creates problem within me.
But as you have mentioned about celiac disease I would really discuss it my doctors.
Hello, XXXXXXX
Make sure you get tested for Celiac.
You can start the syllium supplements small and
increasr it every 3-4 days.
It really does help in the long run.
Good luck.