Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Suffering from IBS. Test showed deficiency of Vitamin B12 and calcium. Taking pankeroflat and vibact. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 2457 Questions
Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from IBS for the past 10 years..Tests reveal that I have less of Vitamin B12,Calcium..etc and no pathogens found in stool test..But my diarrheal bouts will be ok only if i take Cifran-oz.
i am also taking pankeroflat, Vibact on a daily basis..

Kindly advise
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 17 minutes later

I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

It will be helpful if you could tell me the tests and investigations with their reports on the basis of which you were diagnosed as having irritable bowel syndrome so that I can give you further professional advice.

Also what about your food habits ?
Do you eat frequently from outside ? If it is so, I will suggest you to avoid all kinds of food specially fast food and open juices from outside stalls. You should modify your food habits to more of fresh vegetables, and fruits with enough liquids. Also add fresh curd daily in your diet.

The low calcium and vit B12 can be managed by taking added supplements under supervision of your treating doctor.

I would also suggest you to go for a thyroid and parathyroid hormone profile if not done yet.

Your reply to the above is awaited. Till then, you can continue your taking enzymatic preparation and probiotics as before with the dietary modifications as advised.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor