Sudden weight gain with irregular period and extended belly. Is this a serious problem?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi, I have an extended belly and thought i was not exercising enough or eating right. I noticed my quick weight gain in the last 3 months ABOUT 15 POUNDS. my FRIENDS THINKS IT'S A SERIOUS MEDICAL CONDITION BECAUSE SHE HAS NEVER SEEN ME BEFORE LIKE THIS. i NOTICED AT THE SAME TIME I HAD STOPPED MENSTRUATING, AND THEN STARTED AGAIN 3 MONTHS LATER AND STILL HAVE AN EXTENDED BELLY WITH THE REST OF MY BODY IS SLIM AND PROPORTIONED.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,
The kind of sudden weight gain at belly with menstruation abnormality is alarming development.
It can be just out of change in feeding behaviour, particularly if you are not keeping a watch on intake and choosing healthy food intake.
Another important possibility at your age is climacteric and impending menopause and hormonal changes which also cause drastic changes in the body homeostasis leading to weight gain.
Third possibility is of some cause within the abdomen eg. some tumor that can make excess fluid in abdomen.
The most important suggestion is to get yourself assessed and a physical examination by a physician of your locality.
Prior to consult please get an ultrasound of abdomen and Complete blood counts, ESR, serum FSH levels and a Pap smear if you did not have had it earlier and review with these reports.
The cause of weight gain needs to be ascertained as soon as possible.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.