Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

String like clots while urinating. Cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5762 Questions
What cause string like or thread like clots of blood when urinating? I was also in an accident 3 weeks ago and received bad bruising in the chest, rib, and abdominal area fron the air bags and being tossed about in the car. The bleeding just started as the brusies began to heal. I also have kidney stones, but these are not stones, it looks jut like pieces of sting or thread of some sort. When rubbed together it is clearly clotted blood.
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 55 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

After urinary bladder trauma, bleeding usually appears in first few days and rather does not last for so long. However a large hematoma of the kidney or in the urinary bladder sometimes can evacuate for so long. But this should be visible in ultrasound or CT (if such tests were done after your accident).

Blood in urine can be caused by kidney stones indeed. Stones irritate urinary tract and make small wounds which can bleed. But usually it does not cause strings in the urine, rather just red urine.

Sometimes blood in urine can be the first symptom of urinary bladder cancer. That is why such symptom never should be neglected.

You definitely should visit urologist and have proper diagnostics. Urine analysis, abdominal ultrasound should be done at first. Next test should be cystoscopy.

In a meanwhile please drink plenty of mineral water (2-3 liters a day) to flush this blood. Cranberry supplements might be also helpful.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: String like clots while urinating. Cause? 52 minutes later
Is the cystoscopy done by running the thin tubing through the penis?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later

Yes, cystoscopy is a procedure where a small camera is put through the penis to urinary bladder. Urologist is able to watch whole bladder and some parts of ureters.
This procedure is usually done in anesthesia so no pain should be present.

Hope this will help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor