Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Stent used after heart attack. Fell down and noticed pain and swelling in chest. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
My husband is 50 years old and he had a heart attack in 2007. They did put in a stint. Today at work he fell and hit his right chest just to the inside of his nipple on a wooden steak that was sticking out of the ground and now he has some swelling where he got hit and a bruse. One his way home from work he felt sick to his stomach and threw up. He said he thinks he Is ok and he is laying down but I think he should get checked out. What would you recommend to watch for that would mean we should take him to the doctor?
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us.
I would agree that your husband needs to have a basic evaluation so that we dont miss any injuries.
Till then, these are the things that you should be watching out for:
a. Difficulty in breathing
b. Severe chest pain
c. Any kind of discharge (fluid oozing out) from the wound: this could be blood, foul smelling discharge . This could indicate an infection
A physical exam, a tetanus shot ( if he hasn't received one off late) and a chest Xray is what is required.
Meanwhile, warm compresses at the wound site and Tablet Tylenol 1 tablet as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) can help ease the pain
Hope that helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Emergency Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor