Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Sore tip of tongue, numbness, dryness in inside lip, tongue burns and feels slimy after eating certain foods

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 176 Questions
The tip of my tongue is sore and feels numb and my bottom inside lip is dry. And when I eat certain foods my tongue feels slimy and it burns.
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 2 hours later
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your symptoms I feel, that you are suffering from a condition known as Burning mouth syndrome. It is most commonly found in females above the age of 35years.

There is no main, known reason for it, but a lot of factors are associated with this condition, the most important being Stress, anxiety and depression.

The symptoms include:
-dry mouth
-burning sensation on tongue and other parts of the oral cavity
-numbness especially on tongue
-white patches in the oral cavity (sometimes) indicating oral thrush etc

The only treatment you can do is symptomatic in nature, such as:
-drink lots of water during the day to keep yourself hydrated
-avoid spicy foods
-avoid mouthwashes with alcohol base
-take multivitamin tablets
-sucking on ice chips makes some patients more comfortable
-use antifungal mouthwash

If white patches are present, then antifungal tablets may help, for which I would recommend you to visit a dentist for examination and treatment.

If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor