Owl Image

Sore red rash on leg. Took prirton and used saline water. Now?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
I have a really sore red rash (always forms itself into a circle and sometimes bruises)that's really itchy on my left inside upper leg,it comes for a week then always omens back 3/4weeks later I have took prirton and used salon on it but just doesn't seem to work.please can you help.
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later
Considering your description it most probably seems to be a fungal infection of the skin .
Most annular ( ring like ) itchy lesions with a central clearing and a bruise like colour in a covered part of body ( thigh ,groin , armpit , skin folds) are more likely to be fungal infections which are usually not easily resolved and may progress for weeks to months.
The definitive treatment is taking prescription antifungal medications either oral or topical (fluconazole, ketoconazole , etc) after confirmation of diagnosis by a dermatologist ( skin specialist doctor ).
Piriton has only antihistamine ( chlorpeniramine ) and salon pas ( salicylic acid ) both of which are not going to resolve such infection.
I would recommend you consult your dermatologist who can examine it , test it to confirm or rule out fungal infection ( woods lamp or KOH test) and start appropriate treatment .
Meanwhile make sure to keep the region sweat free and dry as much as feasible and avoid scratching it as much as possible .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.