Sore and swollen stomach with acid reflux. What could be causing this?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in GERD
Question: Hello Dr. XXXXXXX S Narasi, I am XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and i have had some weird changes with my body and i am highly concerned about it. Starting in April 2011, i have had some stomach burning sensations, i burp alot each day, and under my left arm, it get real sore from time to time and swelling occurs. It goes down after a while. Sometimes when i am driving, and this has been going on after work, i tend to have panic attacks because i am worried about my health. I am thinking maybe i have acid reflux but sometimes i feel it may be something different. I currently quit smoking back in March of 2011 and i still often drink alcohol but not as much as i use to. Could that be a problem? Ive been to the doctor 2 different times and the ER 3 different times. They have done blood work and have not found anything irregular. But sometimes my heart rate slows down like im having anxiety and i dont like it. Is there a way i can stop this? If not stop it, at least slow it down? This experience feels life altering and im really worried.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
You are a young man and I am sure quite active and busy.
I am sure you are taking some kind of PPI for relief of acid
reflux symptoms. Make sure you take the medicine regularly
and also take it about one to one half hour after meals daily
to be effective. I would recommend that you go easy on
alcohol intake .It certainly can make things worse for the
stomach problems. I congratulate you for quitting smoking
and some of your anxiety is related to nicotine withdrwal.
You will get over it in time. Make sure you drink lot of water.
I am really glad that all your blood tests were normal.
I want you to start taking Vit-C 1000 mg. daily along with
a good Super B-Complex Vitamin daily. Regular excercises
along with a good high protein diet is very helpful.
Make sure, you eat whole grain cereals, fresh vegetables and
adequate amount of fluids. All this should help you.
Listen to relaxing music and there are CDs that help relaxation.
I am confident that you will do fine and achieve your goals in
life.
I wish you the very best.