Should i get a second dose of Hep A vaccine inspite of having it few years back?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Vaccinations
Question: Hello,
This is in regards to the Hep A vaccine.
I received my first dose of the vaccine in 2012 but did not get the second. Do I have any protection from the first and could just receive the 2nd dose ASAP or would I have to start the dose from the start because I am no longer protected?
Thank You
Answered by Dr. Arun 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
just take one dose ASAP

Detailed Answer:

Second dose of hepatitis vaccine can be given even after 2 years after the first dose. It is just a booster dose and can be given even many years after the first dose, but earlier the better, because usually the protection levels fall after 2 years of taking the initial dose.
You can safely take one dose only ASAP.

Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari