Should a 8 year old child receive Typhoid vaccination?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 8yr daughter needs to go for Typhoid vaccination as per her last two typhoid vaccination done at the age of 2yr and 5yr respectively therefore i would like to know as per the national vaccination schedule of XXXXXXX what are the mandatory vaccination for the age of 8yr and above as my son is 14yrs old and his vaccination also i would like to know whether required or not.

Please provide the chart with details on must or optional vaccination for the age of 8 yrs and above for both of my kids urgently along with the side effects after vaccination like fever etc.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on vaccines

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... Coming to your queries -

1. In national immunization schedule... government schedule... there are no vaccines at 8 years. But IAP recommends certain vaccines.

2. Please get back to me with the vaccination charts of both your kids. Upload them. I will see and let you know what are the optional vaccines required which have been missed out...if any.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 29 minutes later
Till the time its get uploaded please let me know the typhoid vaccination for 8yr old daughter who has already been given 2 vaccination of typhoid at the age of 2 &5 respectively in past.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestion on typhoid vaccination

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Typhoid vaccine of two types now.

1. Polysaccharide vaccine - which needs to be given from 2 years of age and to be repeated every 3 years once.

2. Typhoid conjugate vaccine - which can be given from 6 months of age. It needs to be given only 2 doses, 1 year apart. No need to repeat 3 years once.

Both vaccines may cause some amount of fever. But it will not be troublesome.

I suggest you to go ahead with Typhoid conjugate vaccine for both the kids.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 23 hours later
I have attached my daughters[8yr] immunisation card, please advice with details of vaccinations required at the age of 8yrs.

Also send the latest immunisation chart so that i can refer to both kids.

Typhoid vaccination is due of 01-Mar-2016 as per this card but i am not sure whether it is really required or not, in case required then i donot know what type of vaccination shall i need to go for with cycles.

Kindly update with details please.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on Typhoid vaccine

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I have gone through your card.

You need to give Typhoid vaccine for sure as it is already 3 years since the last polysaccharide typhoid vaccine.

But as I had already suggested - go ahead with Typhoid conjugate vaccine. It needs to be given only 2 doses, 1 year apart. No need to repeat 3 years once.

Coming to your other request - there is no option for me upload the vaccination chart. So I am sending you an URL.

http://www.iapindia.org/page.php?id=129

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 18 minutes later
Pl suggest the price for :

Also let me know any pre-requisites or side effects after taking this vaccine.

I mean price for above please.

Also let me know the brand name for Typhoid conjugate vaccine along with price details.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on Typhoid vaccine

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Typhoid conjugate vaccine comes in 2 brands -

1. Typbar-TCV - INR 1821/-
2. Enteroshield - INR 1799/-

There are no pre-requisites for the vaccination.

The usual side effects are mild pain at the injection site and may be mild fever for 24-48 hours.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 57 minutes later
As per the card attached earlier, is this the booster dose for typhoid that needs to be repeated at the age of 8yr or not? Pl clarify.

Will there be any repetition in case of Typhoid conjugate vaccine as well as Vi Polysachharide vaccine [already taken 2 & 5 yrs].
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clarification on Typhoid vaccine

Detailed Answer:
Hi....

1. For your daughter you have till now given, Vi Polysachharide vaccine. Typhoid conjugate vaccine is not a booster for Vi Polysachharide vaccine.

2. If you need to give a booster for the vaccine given to her earlier and which is to be repeater at 8 years of age - then you need to give her Vi Polysachharide vaccine. But (Indian Academy of Pediatrics) IAP recommends to give Typhoid conjugate vaccine.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Brief Answer:
Suggestions on typhoid vaccines

Detailed Answer:
Hi....

1. Vi Polysaccharide vaccine has to be repeated every 3 years once.

2. Typhoid Conjugate vaccine is only 2 doses in a lifetime. 2nd dose needs to be given, 1 year from 1st dose.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth