Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Severe abdominal pain. Urine report showing RBC and albumin. What does this report indicate?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
My husband had a severe abdominal pain so we took him to the emergency immediately and today his urine report says that rbc is 20-25 hpf, and 5-6 pus cells and presence of albumin does that indicate anything serious?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 57 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

I appreciate your concern. I will try to explain you in the best possible way.

When we put all the things together like abdominal pain, RBC in urine the most common probability is stone disease.

What he might have had is renal colic, which is almost always severe in nature, presents suddenly and at times there is associated vomiting.

Presence of RBC in blood indicates that there is blood in urine. The numbers of pus cells at present are very less, which hardly needs any attention now. Presence of albumin indicates loss of protein in urine, this can happen in many cases like infection, some injury to kidneys etc.

Please talk to your doctor, he will after examination, advice ultrasound for urinary system and this will help in reaching to a conclusion.

Depending upon the size and location stone, further treatment will be advised.

In mean time, please ask him to take light diet, plenty of fluids orally and proper rest.

For routine problem related to stomach, you many need to see a physician for proper diagnosis. He may require some investigation like ultrasound of abdomen, stool test, blood counts etc. as per need.

This kind of digestive issue are very common in day to day life due to some bad food habits, improper timing of food, tobacco, stress etc to name a few.

As far the recent problem is concerned, please do not worry. Get it properly diagnosed and treated.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up query that you have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor