Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Semen analysis shows Sperm Motility-40%, Progressive Motility Score-35, Sperm Normal Morph-71% and Sperm Count - 27Mil/mL. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 3767 Questions
Husband just had a semen analysis and was instructed to consult a Urologist. We are trying to interpret the results to determine our chances. I have three daughters from a previous marriage and have never had fertility issues. However, I am now 41 and my last pregnancy and birth occured at age 34. My husbands results are are follows:

Semen volume - 1.8 mL
Semen liquification - <60
Semen pH - 8.0
Sperm Motility - 40%
Progressive Motility Score - 35
Sperm Normal Morph - 71%
Sperm Abnormal Morph - 29%
Sperm Count - 27MIL/mL

With those counts and my advanced maternal age, how likely would we be able to conceive naturally? We have tried for 3 months using ovulation testing and symptom management, and considering my past experience, I know my body very well and could always feel when I was ovulating and I was always right. Please let me know what you think. I would rather knowmsooner than later to avoid any prolonged stress, which could also decrease our chances. Thanks!
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, 1) Your husband's sperm count , motility and

Detailed Answer:

1) Your husband's sperm count , motility and morphology seem to be normal and not a cause for worry.

2) Your age is on higher side and I suggest you get evaluated for following blood tests on second day of your cycle: FSH, LH, AMH, TSH, Prolactin.

3) If possible get a transvaginal ultrasound examination to check follicular growth on second day of your cycle.

If all tests are normal you can try naturally. If not I suggest you go for IVF ( test tube baby) treatment.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor