Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Scan showed mild acute diverticulitis of the sigmoid colon. Concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
im a male 53 good health. Went to ER 6 days ago lower abdominal pain. Doctor called it suprapubic area. Had colonoscopy about 9 months ago, one small polop removed plus stated had diverticula. Upon current visit this ER doc did CT scan with XXXXXXX stated mild acute diverticulitis of the sigmoid colon. (pericolonic stranding compatible with mild acute diverticulitis) No free fluid, free air or abscess is seen. Spleen, Pancreas, adrenal glands have unremarkable appearance. No focal liver lesions seen no evidence of free fluid or air.....Was given Cipro and Flagyl... last day of antibiotics tomorrow....still hurting, very tired even after sleeping 8 hours, nausea (no vomiting) bowel movements are soft kind of sticky (usually happens when I have cipro) scared all of this is misdiagnosed and it is really colon cancer....please is this possible?
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Colonoscopy sensitivity in colon cancer detection is about 98%. This means that there is only 2% chances that the cancer wont be detected with this test. It is really hardly possible to miss a cancer in large intestine with colonoscopy. Moreover, it takes approximately 10 years for colon cancer to develop. So your colonoscopy done 9 months ago in 98% rules out the cancer. There is no reason to be afraid of colon cancer at your case.

What you should be afraid of is diverticulitis. This disease is caused by chronic constipation. Due to increased pressure in the large intestine, some kind of pouches (diverticles) are created in the wall. This pouches have thin wall. The stool can stuck in such pouch and result with an inflammation (diverticulitis - inflammation of diverticle). Such inflammation gives serious risk of intestine perforation and abdominal cavity inflammation. This is an urgent condition and needs emergency surgery.

That is why, if your pains are recurring, the part of large intestine with diverticles should be removed. This will prevent perforation.
Moreover, when you have such surgery planned, there is no need of stoma creation. But when it is emergency surgery, stoma will be created for sure.

That is why I suggest you to visit general surgeon and consider surgery.

In a meanwhile you should increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake. Avoid constipation.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Scan showed mild acute diverticulitis of the sigmoid colon. Concerned? 59 minutes later
thank you, that relieves my question on the cancer, but why am I so TIRED and that from the cipro and flagyl combo or just part of having the diverticulitis?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 40 minutes later
Tiredness can be a side effect of Ciprofloxacine indeed. It affect whole body, not just intestines.
When antibiotic kills bacteria, its parts are absorbed to the blood stream. This can also cause tiredness, weakness etc.
Moreover, you may be a little dehydrated especially that you have soft sticky stool.
I suggest you to add probiotic to your antibiotic (there should be at least 30 minutes of break between probiotic and antibiotic) and drink more mineral XXXXXXX water.

Hope this will help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor