Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Round, red, itchy spot on pubic bone. Have had only protective sex. Itchy ingrown hair in pubic area

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1853 Questions
I have a round red itchy flat spot on my pubic bone, about a cm wide. I have only had protective sex. I do shave my pubic area and did notice what I thought was an itchy ingrown hair before it became this spot and I did scratch a lot.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.

Important aspects of your query are:
• 19 year old female
• Complaints of: round red itchy flat spot.
• Cocern related to excessive itching

Most common cause of such lesions is tinea. It is caused by the fungal infection of the skin.

For treatment following measures will help you:
-Wear loose cloths, so it does not irritate lesion or rub against it
-Keep your skin clean and dry.
-Avoid scratching as it has tendency to spread nearby parts of skin.
-Wash clothes every day while you are infected.
-Apply over-the-counter antifungal creams that contain clotrimazole (candid). But it should not have steroids. Also use tab flucanazole 150mg once in a week for 4 week (total 4 tabs).
-For excessive itching you can use cetrizine 10mg tablet once in a day.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor