Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Ring worm on left hand grown, itchy and hurts. Cause and treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
I have something on the back of my left hand that started out looking like a ring worm. At first I treated it with otc products. It would kind of come and go for about 1.5- 2 months. Now it has rapidly grown, taking nearly the entire back of my hand. The "ringworm" type outline is still red, raised, and defined with small white bumps, but is no longer circular, has become irregular. This thing hurts and is extremely itchy. I've also noticed a small area on my inner leg and foot. Thank you for your help.
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 7 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

You have provided with good information regarding your skin problem and it is a very good description. I appreciate it.

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:

1) Which cream (OTC) have you tried over the area ?
2) Is the lesion only on one arm ?
3) Do you suffer from Diabetes ?

Answer to these questions would help me understand your problem better.Even a close up picture of the lesion would help me further.You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.You can also email the same to YYYY@YYYY with “ATTN: ” in the subject line.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
With history what you have submitted ,it does seems that you have a fungal infection (though a allergic reaction also has to be ruled out).

Such fungal infections are mostly seen on one half of the body and are also seen on the groins (inner thighs) and foot.Usually more common in diabetic patients.

I would advise you to stop all the creams which you are using and start off with oral anti fungal medicine like Fluconazole or terbinafin tablet.These medicines needs to be taken for at-least a month for complete cure.Topical anti fungal can also be used along with ,like candid cream or ketoconazole cream.

Since these are not OTC drugs you need to consult a dermatologist for proper prescription .

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor