Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Reports show cyst in ovary and lutiel cyst. What does this indicate? Chances of pregnancy?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
My wife (age 30) has this report on her 22nd day - Right ovary a cyst with XXXXXXX echoes 2.9 * 2.9cms, lutiel cyst. Endometrium 1.0cms, triple layer. What does this report mean? Is there a chance for pregnancy in this cycle? Are the values in normal range? Please help.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic. Followings are my comments to your queries:

1) Ultrasound scan report reveals right sided ovarian cyst & may rupture during period in the absence of pregnancy. It usually disappears after few months. This type of cyst is mostly physiological and does not create clinical complication with above mentioned size (2.9 x 2.9 cm). Also, this does not prevent or threaten a resulting pregnancy. It is commonly associated with ovulation induction drugs (like clomiphene etc).

Endometrium thickness (1 cm) is also normal with visible three layers. It is suggestive of secretory phase of menstrual cycle.

2) It is too early for confirmation or determination of possible pregnancy. Here, one home pregnancy test is suggested immediately after missed period. However, blood test for beta-hCG or TVS scan (Trans Vaginal Sonography) around 4-5 weeks (from last period date) is more confirmative & reliable to detect pregnancy. You can consult with your gynecologist regarding this.

3) Yes, both values are quite physiological and normal in correspondence to her menstrual cycle.

Hope, I have answered your queries. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish her good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Reports show cyst in ovary and lutiel cyst. What does this indicate? Chances of pregnancy? 4 hours later
Dear Doctor, Thanks a bunch for answering the question. I was surfing the net with the scan report details and read at many a places read that the endometrium thickness more than 16mm or so wouldn't yield a pregnancy. Hence the doubt I had. Hope 1 cm thickness shouldn't prevent a pregnancy? And also on many a sites it was suggesting for a biopsy if the thickness grows beyond 1cm. Please is this necessary?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up query.

Normal endometrium thickness in secretory phase of menstrual cycle is 10-14 mm. It is usually thickened after conception. However, it does not confirm or prevent a pregnancy. TVS scan or serum beta-hCG test around 4-5 weeks is best method to rule out pregnancy in absence of period.

In my opinion, endometrium tissue biopsy is not necessary with above thickness (1 cm) as it is within the normal range. However, it may be required if endometrium is thickened beyond 16 mm with positive clinical sign. In such case, you need to consult with your gynecologist to proceed the same.

Hope, above information is quite helpful for your understanding. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor