Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

136 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Report showing low vitamin D and isoechoic nodule behind left parathyroid. What is the further course of action?

Answered by
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 1663 Questions

Posted on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I had a follow up test and it shows normal calcium serum level, ionize calcium and PTH levels. My Vitamin-D is very low : 14.7ng and also history of high cholestrol.. I do have 7mm isoechoic nodule behind left parathyroid. I have lots of muscle cramps, probably depression too.. What should be my next line of action..?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Vitamin D Detailed Answer: When I see blood levels of 14.7 in a patient of mine along with normal calcium and PTH, I generally recommend daily supplementation with over the counter vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) 5000 IU. Levels should be rechecked in 2 months to see there is still a deficiency, and also to ensure too much is not given. The goal is to keep blood vitamin D levels in the range of 30-50. The daily supplementation can be adjusted between 1000 - 3000 IU daily to keep blood levels in this target range. Low vitamin D has been linked to a variety of symptoms. If your complaints improve after a few weeks of treatment, then it is likely they were due to vitamin D deficiency. If not, then you should see your primary care physician to determine the next course of action. Vitamin D will not affect the cholesterol levels. The 7 mm isoechoic nodule is statistically benign. You may wish to perform an ultrasound 6 months after the previous one to look for growth/change in characteristics of the nodule, if any. If you have risk factors for thyroid cancer (like past or first degree family history of thyroid cancer, or exposure to ionizing radiation to your upper body) then performing a fine needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid nodule is recommended. But first, the radiologist needs to confirm if it is indeed a thyroid nodule or not
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Thyroid cancer

doctor1 MD

My husband has Pancreatitis which he developed straight after an operation for Thyroid Cancer 8 weeks ago. He has had numerouse complications and has been on such a journey of pain etc. He has had the Staff bug and is cleared a week or so ago. The hospital doctor now tells me he has got the Staff bug again and also ecoli. I am so worried about him. They haven t put him on drip for antibiotics . At present he is getting pills for Staff infection. He also has draining tubes in to drain infected necrosis and a nasal feed tube as he is not eating, protien low (13). Can you please explain what his chances of recovery are, and also explain about the bugs? Many thanks. Sheila

doctor1 MD

I have had feeling of pin and needle in my right thumb for more than two weeks and yesterday I felt a nodule in my right armpit. I am worried are these related? I have survived thyroid cancer and it hasen t been returned for 6 years. Can it be cancer again?

doctor1 MD

I had thyroid cancer that also got into lymph nodes and all that is cleared up but now I m having a lot of tailbone pain that has gone on for several months and also I just had a T.B test that was suspicious but cleared by the nurse and now it is welted and swollen and itches.

doctor1 MD

My husband is 3 months post op Thyroid Cancer. Thyroid was removed as well as 6 metastatic nodes. 148 mc Radioactive Iodine was given & I131 scan showed only residual tissue. He currently takes his synthroid 150 mg. But it has been ineffective. 6 weeks ago he had an onset of pain in tailbone. Which has progressed to severe pain & inability to stand or walk correctly. Along with this his RBC Hemocrit & Hemoglobin levels are low, but his Platelet function times are elevated. He has had several CBC W/DIFF labs. His PFT has been up to 206- 247 ranges & his PFT EPI up to 179. They are consistently high with the exception of 2 different times being normal out of 6 draws. His ENT just removed tonsils with bleeding complications. He believes something is wrong & is sending him to Hematology at Vanderbilt. My question is could the bone pain be related to his levels? Lukemia? Or is that not usual or is it two separate issues such as a blood disorder and possibly a discount issue?

doctor1 MD

pain in both arm pits also feeling weakness in body as a whole Had augmentations put in 7 years ago. Have had a thyroidectomy due to thyroid cancer . Have been feeling rushes of adrenaline and wekness in my body . I get warm and have been having...

doctor1 MD

I have type 2 diabetes. I am using metformin 1000 mg 2x daily and glipizide 10 mg 1x daily. My a1c is 9.1. My doctor wants me to go on another non insulin medication. I am confused by the so many kinds offered and the side effects which range from...

doctor1 MD

thyroid nodule . No calcification noted on report went for doppler and said there was peripheral vascularity and a very small spot inside. does that confirm cancer