Suggest treatment for elevated HbA1c levels

Endocrinologist
Question
I have type 2 diabetes. I am using metformin 1000 mg 2x daily and glipizide 10 mg 1x daily. My a1c is 9.1. My doctor wants me to go on another non insulin medication. I am confused by the so many kinds offered and the side effects which range from heart attack, pancreatitis, and thyroid cancer. What do you recommend?
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About Diabetes treatment;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern!
A1c level you reported is high. Usually there up to three medications recommended to treat Diabetes, but adding a third medication will lower A1c at maximum 1% in three months, so still it will remain above 7%.
That is why in these cases we do recommend insulin treatment. It is the only treatment that can lower A1c level up to 2% and b it to normal ranges.
You didn't give any information regarding to your weight or BMI. If you are overweight it is very important to loose weight with diet and physical activity and if you are willing to start a diet than you may try e three months treatment with antidiabetic medications that help to loose weight ( liraglutide) except of metformine.
The side effects exists but fortunately they are rare.
Hope i have been helpful.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta