Reoccurring red pimple on the back of throat causing throat pain. Looking for relief

Dr. Ravinder Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I get a reoccuring red pimple/sore on the right side of the back of my throat causing throat pain. I have seen 2 doctors with no answers. This has been going on about 1 year.
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 2 hours later
Hello
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma. On the basis of the information provided it appears you have a recurrent sore in the back of your throat for last one year. I would like to know more about it
1. Any pain in throat
2. History of fever
3. Cough and Expectoration
4. Difficulty in swallowing
5. Any medications you are on
6. History of Smoking / Alcohol
7. Any history of nose or sinuses problem
8. Any neck node/swelling present
9. Treatment history and its response
10. Any history of skin lesions in addition

Please return to me with the above answers and if possible send me a photograph of the lesion

Looking forward to hear from you
with regards
Ravinder Sharma

Follow up: Dr. Ravinder Sharma 9 hours later
I do have throat pain, but no fever, cough, or expectorant. I have noticed a little difficulty in swallowing. I have never smoked and do not drink alcohol. I have no sinus problems. I have had a ultra sound on my neck with no findings. I do not have any node swelling present. I take Lopressor (25) for high blood pressure and Nexium (40) for my stomach. No treatment has been recommended as no cause has been determined. I am of average weight and in otherwise in good health.
Hello
Thanks for the follow up query
On the basis of the information I would suggest you to plan for the biopsy from the sore at the back of your throat. Histopathological examination of the sore is the best guide to decide on the treatment. When it comes to treatment it should not be based on presumptions and clinical findings. Examination of the biopsy specimen under microscope (histopathology) is the best guide to decide the treatment. My impression is that it is not sometimes serious but it needs this investigation for the exact diagnosis.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if your require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma