Can Valsartan be replaced with another medication due to side-effects?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Nov 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i was on valsartan 160mg and amlodipine 10mg for years.Idevelopd side effects swollen ankles and gums. ON 7/31 the doctor kept me on valsartan and put me on lopressor 50mg. After taking lopressor i developed ringing in right ear. ON 9/18 kept me on valsartan and changed to Atetenol 50mg. ringing persists. On 9/26 put me on valsartan 320/hctz ringing will start 3hrs after taking vaLSARTAN.0N 10/2 went back to doctor and again kept me on valsartan320/hctz and nadolol 20mg. I took the nadolol in the morning and eas ok.The ringing started after i took the valsartan 320mg/12.5 hctz after 3hrs. The ringing is only in the right ear and stops in 8hrs after taking valsartan.i have an appointment with ENT. i ,know the valsartan is causing my problem. ineed two pressure pill what can i take with nadolol or is there any other combation or single drug. PLEASE HELP ME

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that ear ringing is not a known adverse effect of Valsartan.

Considering the fact that you have been taking Valsartan before (combined with amlodipine), without experiencing this adverse effect, is another argument which indicates that your actual complaints are not related to Valsartan adverse effects.

The fact that the ear ringing is only in one ear, could indicate an inner ear disorder.

For this reason, it is necessary to consult with the ENT specialist, before making any changes to your actual therapy.

I would also recommend performing a complete blood count for anemia, thyroid hormone levels and blood electrolytes for possible imbalance, in order to exclude other possible causes that may trigger ear ringing.

In the end, if all the above tests result normal, I would recommend switching from Valsartan to Olmesartan or Telmisartan.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 days later
I take valsartan 320/12.5 hctz. Had ent exam negative When I take vallsartan I get sweats and one hour later get ringing in right ear stops 8 hours later. What can I take instead of valsartan
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I would recommend trying ramipril or berlipril instead of valsartan. These drugs belong to ACEI class and have similar mechanisms of action to valsartan.

Other possible drugs to consider would be central acting anti-hypertensive drugs (like methyldopa or Monoxidine).

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues!

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri