Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Red rash in armpit and behind ear, itches and peels; also developed swollen glands, sore throat and fatigue

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 254 Questions
Hi. I've been experiencing a strange skin rash. I have a red patch in one armpit that I thought was a group of ingrown hairs, but it isn't. It's red and flat. It crusts over with a very thin, paper-like layer of skin. It itches and peels and then crusts again. What could this be? How can I remedy this? I feel I should also mention the following: prior to this, the nsides of my nostrils had been peeling for over a week. I've just found a patch of skin, similar to the one in my armpit, in my groin area. Also, I just found a spot behind my ear that peeled. The skin is scaly, like the rest. Help! I' ve also just developed swollen glands, a sore throat, and fatigue.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 10 hours later

I understand your health concern.

As of now, the whole problem may be due to Seborrhoeic dermatitis. In my opinion you may be benefitted with a course of anti fungals agents like Azoles E.g: Flucanazole (if not allergic to). I am not sure if this is an over the counter medicine in your country. You may approach the Pharmacist at the local pharmacy who can guide you.

Levo Cetirizine preparation is available over the counter in most countries. You can take 5mg, one tablet a day before bed for two weeks (if not allergic to). If not an OTC, you require a prescription of this drug.

If you have history of sexual exposures then with a history of sore throat and swollen glands you may need to undergo tests to rule out all sexual transmitted infections including HIV.

It would be helpful to guide you, if you send a picture of the lesion. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

You can XXXXXXX a Dermatologist in your area for confirmed diagnosis and treatment.

Prasad PVS, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor