Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Recovered dengue. Had fever. Platelet count went down to 20k. Feeling weak. Feeling tired. Supplement B12 injection required?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 1115 Questions
My dad just recovered from dengue but is still very weak.He didn't have any other symptom than fever. He had fever of 102 for first 3 days ,and 99°F for another 4-5 days. Platelet count went down to 20k on 4th day , we took him to the hospital where one platelet SRD was given frm which his count came up to 55k.we brought him back yesterday. Now his temperature is 97-98°F . BUT he is feeling too weak . He walks a bit and gets tired. He is having fruits, fruit juices, milk , food . I am worried if he is having any other XXXXXXX problem after getting dengue...!!!

Is there any supplement ,B12 injection, Liver tonic required ? ?

What diet can make him strong again??

When will he be better like before??
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No tonic required. Fluids, normal diet. 2 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query.
I have gone through your query and understand your concern.

No tonic or injection is required for dengue.

He can have normal diet.
1. Give large amounts of fluids (water, milk, juice).
2. Give food which easily can get digested like having boiled food, green vegetables, fruits like banana, apples, soups etc.
3.Avoid the food which is oily, spicy and salty.
4. Give Crushed papaya leaves.Juice of the crushed papaya leaves is considered as the best home made remedy for the treatment of dengue fever.

He will feel better with in a week from recovery. Rarely do the symptoms extend beyond two weeks in dengue infection.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor