Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Quitted smoking and drinking. Having acidity problem with bad breath and sore throat. Any advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 339 Questions
Dear Dr. PC,
i am XXXXXXX from new Delhi, in my college days i used to drink and smoke alot, i often get infection in throat , after that i got node in neck just above my collar bone then i diagnose with TB and get treatment ( 2007) and i quit smoking for about 1 year, i have acidity problem on regular basis from college days and after that i again started smoking and drinking , I used to have check up but doctors says that it will be ok , they gave me some antacid and multivitamin capsules and then get some test done like Chest Xray , ultrasound, HIV and all found to be ok after that i got married ( oct 2011)and my wife is 4 mnths pregnant after 2 miscarriage, doctor recommend for VDRL diagnosis , also after treatment of TB rough patch occurs on inner cheek in mouth and 3-5 mm nodes near to tonsils(submandibular) on both side from last one year and my saliva becomes thick with bad breath and sore throat , now kindly suggest what to do now , i quit smoking and drinking from 1 XXXXXXX 2013 and now i want all my problems get solved , so please advise me step by step solution for all my problems.
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 24 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX and thanks for contacting XXXXXXX
It's nice to hear that you have quit smoking and drinking. These two can cause all the problems listed by you and quitting them will help.
Bad breath with sore throat and submandibular nodes point to a poor oral hygiene and secondary infection. The rough patch on the cheek could suggest a candidial infection (a fungus). Hence see an ENT and get it addressed. Meanwhile keep your oral hygiene good by regular brushing and chlorhexidine mouth washes
Regarding acidity - taking frequent small meals, elevating the head end of the bed by around 10cms and doing some breathing exercises like pranayama will help. This will prevent reflex and strengthen the gastroesophageal junction.
Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Quitted smoking and drinking. Having acidity problem with bad breath and sore throat. Any advice? 8 hours later
Dear Sir, thanks for your consultancy , also let me know if VDRL is positive then , how XXXXXXX it is for my wife and her child what are the chance of child to also get this and if get treated in 5 th month of pregnency does it make any effect on baby??? i am going to test it by tomorrow only, and is it contagious also ???

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 38 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX and thanks for contacting XXXXXXX
VDRL is used in the diagnosis of syphilis a venereal disease. It is an age old practice to test VDRL for all pregnant females so as to prevent any infection to the fetus; which can lead to congenital malformations. However presence of active disease has to be confirmed with other tests like Tyrponemal antigen tests, as VDRL will remain positive even after treatment.
Syphilis has various stages and is highly infective in primary and secondary stages. It spreads through various body fluids. Treatment is offered only if Tyrponemal antigen tests are positive and is safe in pregnancy
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor