Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Protected sex, scared of HIV, no oral or anal sex. Tests and cures for HIV ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
Hi sir/ madem, this should be the worst day of my life,. I had a protected sex with a prostitute. It was not of my intention but due to friends force. I am now too too scared if i have HIV or AIDS. I wanted to get it tested. I want to visit the hospital as soon as i can.

I had the sex just today. Orally i have no contact to her mouth or to the anal. Please let me know if i can get the things tested. How long should i wait for the test? If i have been tested positive? then is there medicines for initial stage cure?

my ref number for the payment is hcmg0000.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query,

First of all let me reassure you that is is very likely that you do not have HIV infection from this encounter.

With that being said we need to get you to a testing facility to verify this. Also, you need to be screened for syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia as well as hepatitis B and C. I would wait another 72 hours and then go for testing as this will provide a more reliable period of time for true detection.

If the woman was a known carrier of HIV then you would have to proceed to a facility right away and receive medications for treatment. If you think she may have had HIV I recommend you proceed to the nearest physician office to obtain prophylactic treatment. This can provide potential for cure in very early cases of exposure.

In the absence of being able to see you I have to recommend that you consider what I have said above.

I thank you again for the query and hope my response has been helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Protected sex, scared of HIV, no oral or anal sex. Tests and cures for HIV ? 4 hours later
Dear Doctor,

I thank you so much for your kind reply. Your reply gave me lot of information. I have a final question. I am not sure if the partner has got the HIV and so i want to get tested with my case.

Is there a chance of getting HIV where both the partners dont have the HIV and had a protected sex?

Also, based on your reply i have to wait for atleast 72 hours to get a reliable test. Please let me know if i am wrong.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 minutes later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

Regarding your question about HIV status. It is impossible for anyone to acquire HIV from someone who is HIV negative. The simple answer to your question is absolutely not.

Also you are correct in assuming that waiting 72 hours is adequate and appropriate before going to get a screening evaluation. I would encourage you to wait another couple of days before obtaining evaluation and then you can have this performed. Testing nowadays is excellent at picking up any viral infection and I am sure in your case that you will be able to obtain a reliable result.

I thank you again for submitting your question and follow up. I hope you have found my answers to be helpful informative and reassuring. If you have any additional concerns please do not hesitate to ask.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor