Prescribed telminorm 20 for proteinuria. Is it safe to take?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: i am prescribed telminorm 20 for proteinuria shall i take the medicine in what way it will help me as in medicine review i have not seen any indication for treating proteinuria .my problem started during my first pregnancy i had preeclamsia signs too but not severe to be treated which subsided after my delivery .in my second pregnancy i was all right no hypertention or swelling in lower limbs.the problem only persists is urine albumin and protein slightly higher in my 24hours urine protien and no other signs my doctor told taking this medicine will correct the protien problem in three months shall i take this medicine or not
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Urinary protein excretion is considered abnormal in pregnant women when it exceeds 300 mg/24 hours at anytime during gestation.Proteinuria documented before pregnancy or before 20 weeks' gestation suggests preexisting renal disease, While proteinuria after 20 weeks’ gestation may indicate preeclampsia.
ARBs like telminorm reduce intraglomerular pressure ( pressure inside kidneys ) which ultimately reduces the excretion of proteins.

Normotensive patients with proteinuria also should be given these ARBs,because low doses usually are well tolerated and do not usually cause symptomatic hypotension.

You should definitely be on this medicine but a consultation with nephrologist would be best for your further management.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks