Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Pierced ear cartilage, oozing pus and blood. How to fix the infection?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15028 Questions
I got my ear cartilage pierced two months back. Now I have pus and blood coming out through piercing. What should I do to fix the infection?
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later

Ear cartilage piercing is common and can lead to infection.
There is one bacterial that is the most common cause (stap aureus), in some persons other bacterial can be involved.

Many factors increase the risk of infection-swimming in lakes or stagnant water, the ear piercing technique and antiseptic used are also important.
For example benzalkonium chloride should never be used, iodine or isopropyl alcohol can be used.

Treatment involves removing the earring, you will need a swab of the area to determine exactly which bacteria is present.Your doctor will give you a course of antibiotics, the one that is most commonly used is ciprofloxacin.

I hope this helps and that you feel better soon.Feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor