Pierced ear cartilage, oozing pus and blood. How to fix the infection?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I got my ear cartilage pierced two months back. Now I have pus and blood coming out through piercing. What should I do to fix the infection?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi

Ear cartilage piercing is common and can lead to infection.
There is one bacterial that is the most common cause (stap aureus), in some persons other bacterial can be involved.

Many factors increase the risk of infection-swimming in lakes or stagnant water, the ear piercing technique and antiseptic used are also important.
For example benzalkonium chloride should never be used, iodine or isopropyl alcohol can be used.

Treatment involves removing the earring, you will need a swab of the area to determine exactly which bacteria is present.Your doctor will give you a course of antibiotics, the one that is most commonly used is ciprofloxacin.

I hope this helps and that you feel better soon.Feel free to ask any other questions