Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Painful urination with swollen testicle. What is causing this and required treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
My son's right testicle is swollen and I been told by x-ray results that its water or accumulated liquid. He has been complaining of pain when he urinates and swelling goes up and down. How does this happen and what medical procedures are taken to fix the problem? Should I take him to the ER or wait for an appointment they gave me till the 21st of the month, today is the 8th.
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

First of all I want to reassure you that the findings of the ultrasound do not show anything that is suspicious for any type of cancer.

I suspect that the radiologist described a hydrocele. This is a benign collection of fluid that sometimes occurs in that area of the testicle. Most of the time we are not sure what the actual cause of this is. Sometimes this can happen along the same time that a hernia develops. This is usually why doctors pay close attention to see if there is a hernia going on at the same time.

Most of these hydroceles will go away with time. Continued observation and follow-up clinical examination would be helpful.

This can be treated surgically if symptoms are severe and bothersome. Again I don't think surgery is indicated at this time for your son but if symptoms do Persist or worsen this might be a consideration.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns would like to discuss regarding this matter.

Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor