Painful urination with swollen testicle. What is causing this and required treatment?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Testicle Problems
Question: My son's right testicle is swollen and I been told by x-ray results that its water or accumulated liquid. He has been complaining of pain when he urinates and swelling goes up and down. How does this happen and what medical procedures are taken to fix the problem? Should I take him to the ER or wait for an appointment they gave me till the 21st of the month, today is the 8th.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

First of all I want to reassure you that the findings of the ultrasound do not show anything that is suspicious for any type of cancer.

I suspect that the radiologist described a hydrocele. This is a benign collection of fluid that sometimes occurs in that area of the testicle. Most of the time we are not sure what the actual cause of this is. Sometimes this can happen along the same time that a hernia develops. This is usually why doctors pay close attention to see if there is a hernia going on at the same time.

Most of these hydroceles will go away with time. Continued observation and follow-up clinical examination would be helpful.

This can be treated surgically if symptoms are severe and bothersome. Again I don't think surgery is indicated at this time for your son but if symptoms do Persist or worsen this might be a consideration.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns would like to discuss regarding this matter.

Dr. Robert