On yaz pill. Started getting dark brown clots. Side effect?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Birth Control
Question: Hi
I am on yaz the pill and am have way through my cycle. I have started bleeding but it is a really dark brown and lots of clots or lining. This happened two months ago but not last month. This time it is really heavy. I was on microginon 50 and never had this issues but had other side effects. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 9 hours later
Yes many women on yaz pills do experience heavy or irregular bleeding , unpredictable spotting and bleeding on intercourse .
Infact these are some of the reasons for their switching to another contraceptive or stopping yaz .
You need to consult your gynaecologist if the bleeding is excessive ( clots) and prolonged ( > 1 week) because it may cause complications like blood loss induced anaemia .
With microgynon too you might have has sideffects like nausea , headache , mood changes, water retention , weight changes etc.
Please remember that all pills are hormonal and mostly contain estrogen and different types of progestins and there is no pill without sideffect . You just have to choose the one which you feel is most comfortable for you.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.