Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Noticed swelling and pain in ankle after injury. Painful to walk. What should be done to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
I fell over a month ago and injured my left XXXXXXX very badly. Slow to heal. Weeks later terrible pain in left ankle with swelling. Went to doctor, checked for blood clot, nothing. Pain continues and now radiates up to my hip..It is affecting right ankle as well. Walking is painful. I am totally exhausted too.
I don't want to over react, but something is wrong. The most pain is right above left ankle and into calf.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

The Pain in the hip could be due to faulty walking or abnormal gait secondary to pain in the ankle.

The trauma you had a month ago would have left an Ligament injury or an hair line fracture.Both the above conditions are always missed in the initial stage as they do not cause serious symptoms initially.

I suggest you to first get an X XXXXXXX of the ankle involved and immobilize the ankle by winding a Crepe Bandage for at-least 2 weeks.If there is no lesion/fracture found in the X XXXXXXX and no getting better with Crepe bandage , there would be need for an MRI then to identify any ligament tears.This is to be done under supervision of an Orthopaedician.

Meanwhile do apply Diclofenac gel over the affected area.Do not massage the ankle.Hot fomentation can provide you some relief.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor