Noticed rashes on cheeks with mild itching. Prescribed with medrol dose pack. Can this be dermatitis from food allergy?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: I am an ER RN, so of course I feel I can manage s/s. Anyway, woke up this am with sudden onset red/warm/raised rash to my cheeks, and is now spreaking down my neck. It feels warm and only mildly itchy. Noticed to small wheels to my abdomen. No other spread. I had my ER doc who eyeballed quickly call me in a medrol dose pack which I just took the initial 8mg. I also took 25 mg benadryl and 20mg Pepcid ac. I did make a follow up with my pmd. I had gorgonzola cheese on my salad last night and 2 glasses of red wine. I have had both before in past and never a reaction. Does this just sound like a dermatitis/urticaria from food allergy? I just washed my face, the rash around my nose is patchy and raised. Of course I think Lupus. But it is also down left side of neck and feels itchy and warm... :( I am taking medrol dose pack as directed and had some 1% hydrocortisone cream I just applied
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 4 hours later
Brief Answer: urticarial skin rash Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX , I understand you concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I will be able to help you in the same. Now as you have described that you had sudden onset of this skin rash. The sites affected are primarily the face and neck with few lesions coming up over the abdomen as well. Going by the description provided, I would think more over the lines of an urticarial skin rash. But before we can think on the lines of a certain diagnosis, I would like to have a look at the exact skin lesions. It would be great if you can click some close up pictures of the skin lesions and upload them here on this page. You can also email of the pictures at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. Also I would like to know if you had similar lesion in the past. Are the lesions evanescent in nature, meaning they appear at one site, stay for sometime and then heal by themselves and reappear at a different site. I am sure I would be able to help you more once you follow up with the pictures. Waiting for your response . Dr Geetika Paul. I am sure I would be able to help you more once you follow up with the pictures.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 4 hours later
Pics sent. Improving somewhat. Was much worse earlier today. I was on a cruise to the Bahamas about 3 weeks ago and had another reaction of dermatitis once arrived home...was mainly on left medial elbow, left wrist, and lower legs. Again treated with prednisone. Unknown allergen. Thanks you for taking time to help me :) I do have appointment with my dermatologist tomorrow also....
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Dermatitis skin ;Try finding the allergen. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Having seen your attached pictures, the skin lesions look more like dermatitis. Now whether this has developed from some kind of food allergy ,it is difficult to interpret. Although certain packaged foods and foods containing preservatives are likely to cause such skin reactions. One thing which is striking is that you have more lesions over your face. So no doubt that the rash is exacerbated by exposure to sunlight. Make sure that you use adequate sun protection in the form of sunscreen every time that you go out. Now the treatment is in the form of both oral and topical steroids only, something that you are already taking. Avoid the use of any irritants over the face in the form of dettol. Do not use any harsh soaps. See if there is history of using any new face wash or creams. Food allergies are usually generalized in nature, they are not localized , so less likely in your case. You seem to have a sensitive skin which is very prone to allergies, so you need to take care in future too. Try to find out the allergen, so that there are minimal allergies . Hope it helps, Dr Geetika Paul.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E