Noticed mucus around anus while wiping. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: God morning. After urinating and wiping in the front I always use a new tissue to clean the back in case of wetness. Today I noticed a pea sized ball of gel - clear - after wiping rear. Also after a bowel movement at times there is no feces on paper although there is feces in the toilet. Stools are usually medium brown color. Should I be concerned? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
From your description of "Ball of gel", looks like thick
mucus around your anus.Therer are few conditions
that can cause this.
If you have small external hemorrhoids and they are
irritated, you can see mucus or sometimes even blood.
If your stool is well formed,there may not be residue
around the area and hence no stool on the tissue.
Anal fissure can be associated with mucus, but
usually there is burning during defecation.
Sometimes, if anyone used a suppository, we also
See a mucus ball.
In any case, this does not look very serious.
Please see a proctologist if this persists or gets
worse.
Wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Thank you for your response Doctor. You have been very kind and informative. I also have GERD. Do you think that this could be a factor even though they are in very different areas of the body?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 48 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
I don't think there is any relationship between
GERD and your current episode that you described.
Sometimes Histus Hernia,GERD can be associated
with Gallstones and Diverticulosis. If you have infection
in the pockets (Diverticula) then it is called Diverticulitis
and this may result in dirrhea with mucus and blood along
with fever and chills. I don't believe you have anything
to suggest these.
Wish you well.