What does abdominal pain on the left side indicate?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I am having lower abdominal pain on my left side. I have had this condition for about 5 days.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give additional information.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Male/81 - left lower abdominal pain - 5 days - not visited a Doctor - no treatment taken.
The commonest causes I can think of for such a pain are:
Colitis on left side.
Stone in left ureter with or without urinary tract infection.
Obstructed hernia.

Please give me additional information for me to assist you better:
Any GUT symptoms like nausea, vomiting, bloating, loose sttols or constipation?
Any urinary symptoms?
Any swelling in the groin or affected area suggestive of hernia or previous surgery?
Any other information please.

Awaiting for your feedback.
With Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 10 hours later
I had a visit with my family Dr. and he thinks its diverticulosis. Urine test was negative. He RX anti-biotic.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
CT scan and colonoscopy are diagnostic.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
Yes, Diverticulitis is one of the reasons; the pain can be severe along with other bowel symptoms.
CT scan is the only confirmatory diagnostic tests along with colonoscopy at an appropriate time. Please try to get these done as soon as possible to get a definitive diagnosis hence the treatment can be guided.
Continue with antibiotics.
Plenty of oral fluids to maintain good hydration.

I hope this further helps you to get an early diagnosis and get further management.
Take care and give feedback please.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana