Noticed liquid jelly substance in stool. What could it be?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: DEAR SIR,

FROM LAST FOUR MONTHS I OBSERVED LIQUID GEL IN MY STOOLS AND BOWEL EVOCATION
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later

The liquid gel that you are observing in your stools is MUCUS.

Mucus is a clear, white, or yellow substance with the consistency of jelly that is produced by the mucus membrane of the large intestine. Mucus is also produced by other organs in the body, such as the lungs, where it helps to trap any foreign particles that are inhaled. In the intestines, mucus protects the inner lining and helps ease along the passage of stool. Passing mucus in the stool is not harmful in and of itself, but it could be a symptom of a disease or condition that may require treatment.

Mucus in the stool is a common symptom of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and ulcerative colitis (a form of inflammatory bowel disease), and is seen to a lesser degree in Crohn's disease. A bacterial infection, amoebiasis, anal fissure, or a bowel obstruction may also cause the passage of mucus along with stool.
In your case,it may be a normal phenomenon.

If the mucus is more, it can be due to infection most probably mixed infection due to Bacteria and Amoebiasis. You may try a course of antibiotic and observe. Please avoid eating foods outside like chat, Gobi items, etc., and avoid going to restaurants.

If the symptoms does not subside consult a Gastroenterologist and get Colonoscopy done.

You can ask my suggestion after completion of above treatment or if you need any clarifications.

Wish you good health...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 47 minutes later
i have done coloscopic test is normal and use antibiotic tablet gut reflect
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 9 minutes later

Nice to hear that your Colonoscopy is normal.

Will you please write the composition of the antibiotic tablet? I will be able to assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 days later
antibiotic tablet is ''Rifaximin''( rifagut)
another tablet name is ''vibact IBS''
but still coming the mucus separately in anus but not mix with stool
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later

I think we may add antibiotic, which has action on Amoebic infestation like Metronidazole or Ornidazole as the persistent mucus may be due to Amoebiasis.

Hope I have addressed your concern. Let me know if you have other clarifications.

Wish you speedy recovery...

Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 19 hours later
Dear sir,
how to use above mentioned antibiotic tablet Metronidazole or Ornidazole and mentioned mg also daily, how many days ?... along my regular use antibiotic tablet .

and stools also went to daily three or four time.....sir,get out of this problems
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 22 minutes later

I understand your concern and would like to guide you in a proper way regarding the dosage of the medicines. But it is unethical to prescribe the dosage of medicines without examining you in detail. Please do visit your treating doctor for the prescription of the same medicines.

Its better to change the Vibact IBS to another Pre and Probiotic capsule.

Wish you speedy recovery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan