Noticed blood in stool. Blood test showed normal. Should I consult a doctor?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I took my 5yr old daughter to the ER yesterday. I noticed she had a bright red color in her stool. I called the ask-a-nurse she thout it might be because my daughter is on omnicef. The day before her stool was a burnt orange. I took her on to the ER the done a blood test an checked her stool. they said everything came back normal. Today I noticed there was still a little red in her stool. Should I take her back to the Dr?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Red coloured stools can most probably be due to any coloring agent in the food like fruit punch or cookies or any source. It is not a cause of concern if your child does not have any unusual symptoms like abdominal colic or fever, or diarrhoea or constipation etc
Stools in children can sometimes have different colours depending on their diet( even grey, brown , XXXXXXX etc . Sometimes this can happen due to food allergy or infection.
As of now you need not worry and nothing needs to be done . If you have introduced anything new to her diet then you may try withholding it to see for any change in the stool colour .
This coloration is likely to subside in next 4-5 days.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.