Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Nodule in adam's apple,sore,allergies

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 662 Questions
I have a nodule above the Adam's XXXXXXX that is sore to the touch. I just noticed it last evening. I also have some throat drainage and allergies and possible muscular soreness. Yet, the nodule, which is movable slightly and about the size of a bean concerns me
Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

Dont worry for this condition, the nodule is an enlarged lymphnode. The function of lymphnodes is to engulf the infecting organisms, and limit the spread of infection, and in turn it increases in size and becomes painful.

In your case the pretracheal lymphnode is enlarged and tender, because you might be suffering from throat infection.

You have history of PND, and you are allergic. Your history points towards the diagnosis of Allergic Rhinosinusitis.

What you will have to do now---
1- Avoid cold diet.
2- Avoid dust.
3- Get a CT scan PNS done(after consulting an ENT surgeon).
4- Need to take a course of Antibiotics and can get it prescribed by your doctor.
5- Take an antiallergic, decongestant oral drug.

The swelling will resolve in a weeks time, it is a benign condition. Don't worry for this condition.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am for the follow ups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Nodule in adam's apple,sore,allergies 1 hour later
What is the purpose of the CT scan and PNS? Otherwise, than you for your reassuring and quick response.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 9 hours later

Thanks again,

CT scan PNS has nothing to do with your swelling in anterior neck.
I advised this in view of history of post nasal discharge, which may be an indication of 'rhinosinusits'.

CT scan PNS will give the extent of involvement of your sinuses. You could consult an ENT specialist and get this test done under his guidance if appropriated.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor