question-icon

Medicine for G6PD patient with fever?

Posted on Tue, 26 Mar 2013
Question: Hi Doctor. Can I know the list of medicines that a G6PD patient should take for fever
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T (45 hours later)

The medications, which are used in the treatment of the fever, are usually NSAIDS (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). Almost all NSAIDs pose risk of Hemolysis in people with G6PD deficiency.

Along with non-pharmacological methods of reducing the fever like bathing, sponging etc you can use low and widely spaced doses of Paracetamol as it is one amongst the NSAIDs, which pose low risk comparatively.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Raju A.T