Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Lips are swollen with puss coming out. Suggest the tests to diagnose the condition

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 193 Questions
Both of my lips are swollen with puss coming out, what causes this? What type of tests can i ask for to diagnose and treat this?
Both of my lips are swollen with puss coming out, what causes this? What sort if testing will diagnose this?
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pus sample culture and sensitivity testing

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

This is usually caused by bacteria, the live normally on the skin surface. Presence of a wound is a common predisposing factor that leads to such situations. However, it is not rare to have such symptoms form other regions or neighboring infected areas.

The best thing to do at this point in time is getting sample of the pus and sending it to the laboratory for a culture and sensitivity test. This shall permit us to know the exact germ causing the infection and the specific antibiotics that would completely eradicate the germ.

In case this has been a repeated process, where you have been having this regularly, a complete clinical examination, to ensure there is no predisposing condition around the lip area. A fasting blood glucose test could be important, since infections are more common in diabetics.

For the moment, the most important thing is removing samples of the pus and sending the sample, under recommended conditions to the laboratory for culture and sensitivity testing. Based on the extent of the condition, antibiotics that cover the common skin infection bacteria, Staphylococus should prescribed (Flucloxacilline, Fucidine families). Anti inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen can be prescribed to reduce pain and swelling for a couple of days as the results from the laboratory are being awaited. Your doctor can decide to do an incision and drainage, in case pus is abundant and is well collected.

Thanks and hope this helps. Please, feel free asking follow up questions in case you have any specific concerns. Kind regards.

Dr Rogers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Lips are swollen with puss coming out. Suggest the tests to diagnose the condition 1 hour later
My first episode of the occured this past July 2013, 2nd episode August, and now is the third. Each episode has lasted about a week thus far. No blisters or sores of any kind occurs with this. Same symtoms: swollen, red lips, super dry, pus coming from lips, and a burning sensation. My primary care provider drew blood to rule out herpes;however, he didnt take a pus swab (pus hadnt started yet for ). If i take a swab and save it in a samdwich bad till monday to give to my doctor will this work? Should i be seeing a dermatologist or a different specialist for this?
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It s a good idea

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is preoccupying an important as you rightly put it, to investigate deeply to know exactly why this is happening. I buy your opinion of seeing a dermatologist. In might be more useful in case you get to a hospital or emergency service, where the pus sample could be kept appropriately.

In case this is not possible, you could as well keep a swab in a sandwich bag provided they are very sterile. Unsterile samples can give us false report and can misguide your physician. However, advice from a health professional could be most useful. I suggest you get to the hospital or laboratory service on Monday so the samples be appropriately collected.

Getting the opinion of a dermatologist could be very useful. Thanks and kind regards. Feel free asking further follow up questions in case of need. I will be glad contributing to your well being. Kind regards.

Dr Rogers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor